Saturday, August 13, 2011

Attack of the Ignorant by Venom

 by


      You know I have alot of friends that also write blogs and I read them as well we are very supportive of each other. Sometimes we get ideas from each other as well about different commentaries and such and we bounce alot of things around. A friend of mine recently posted something on facebook I found very disturbing. He had posted a link to a friends blog about some martial arts schools telling women in a rape situation to fall to their back on purpose and kick the guy in the nuts. We were all outraged by this and I'm especially pissed off because I've seen this before. You know my entire career writing this stuff my goal has been to enlighten and educate not necessarily to be provocative( though I love that too). Just when I think I'm done writing these types of provocative articles some idiot comes along and says something so incredibly ignorant that I feel forced to write another one.  I thought after I wrote Martial Artists vs Black Belts that I'd be done with it for awhile but nope. You think that one was provocative you ain't seen nothing yet.
     This is very alarming to me because the public at large is very uneducated about self defense. They would be more alarmed if they knew that most martial artists are just as uneducated. Now I'm a bonafide 6th dan in Jujutst, 4th Dan in Karate, 5th Dan in Ninjutsu, and a 3rd Dan in Judo. I'm not some smart ass talking from a point of ignorance I am more than qualified to make the statements I'm making when I say this:

When you study a traditional martial art you are studying a historical system. This does not mean you are studying self defense. You may not be studying self defense at all. Furthermore, a black belt in anything alone does not qualify anyone to teach any self defense course ever.

     Even with all the ranks I hold as well as a heavyweight championship on a state level at one time before I seriously began to teach self defense I did loads and loads of research and I still do it to this day. You see here is the problem. I often quote Marc MacYoung when I  say martial artists invent  ingenious solutions to nonexistent problems. This is very true. Instead of studying their martial history they should be studying state laws, neurology, crime trends. They should know what a uniform crime report is if they teach in the US. Most don't do any of this stuff because if they did they wouldn't teach the crap that they do. You should be looking at real attacks and developing solutions for the attacks instead what most subconsciously do is invent an attack that works with their system.Since most don't do their homework they don't actually know what happens during a real altercation. If you don't understand the problem how can you understand the solution?
If you don't do the research to see the real problem there is no way you can come up with a full solution that has depth. You can't go by what some grandmaster says they don't always have your best interest in mind.
      Now this breed is different from the money hungry instructors that honestly don't even care. These folks may be very well intentioned but just don't know any better. Let's get back to this dork telling women to fall to their backs on purpose and kick some guy in the nuts. There's alot wrong with that statement I won't cover all of them but I'll start with kicking the guy in the nuts. If your a woman in a bar and some guy is standing there flirting and you knee him in the balls you probably drop him or at least get something close to the reaction you want. This is alot different than a guy hopped on on adrenaline that wants you harm you. There's a very good chance that you'll just piss them off worse. I see this in women's self defense courses all the time and it's a dangerous myth. Don't get me wrong a groin shot is a good shot but don't bet everything on it have alot of follow ups. You have to remember that rape is not a sex crime. Rape is a hate crime and a form of domination. You attack this guys' manhood you most likely will only accomplish validating his anger and  you'll be beaten even worse if not killed. You see I did my scientific research so I know that stuff. The second thing is on the ground the mobility is lacking so badly.

As a former Alabama State Heavyweight Champion in sport jiu-jitsu I can tell you that in a street altercation you should never go to the ground on purpose.

Ignorant instructors like this one that blindly follow a system can get someone killed and probably will. The scary part is that you may be sending your children to these people for advice. Unfortunately the ignorant ones are in the majority. Some don't even want to be educated they are just in it for the money as we talked about in Martial Artists vs Black Belts and if you haven't read that article you need to do so. I want to put something in perspective for you. Martial Arts instructors are in virtually the only field where they never have to evolve and the public still listens to them. Let's say you go to a doctor and they need to take some blood and he comes out with a bunch of leeches. Then he tells you they got blood with leeches in the old days and that was the traditional way. You'd think that guy was nuts and he'd be out of business real soon. What if you went to a lawyer over some abortion issue and he'd never heard of Roe vs Wade? Would you trust that lawyer's ability to do his job? Of course not! But people listen to martial arts instructors and put their safety in their hands and they teach the same stuff from 200 years ago when nobody knew what a guard was and everybody wore armor and guns weren't invented. That doesn't make alot of sense to me and it shouldn't to you either. Before you go to one of these people you need to ask alot of questions. The quality lies in the individual instructor. Rank,age, and system doesn't really mean anything anymore. Please send this out to everyone who is thinking of taking a martial art. People need to know this. Their lives may depend on it.


Martial Artists vs Black Belts

No comments:

Post a Comment